Music Support is proud to be a part of Addiction Awareness Week, taking place from 18th – 24th October 2021. We will come together with fellow charities who specialise in addiction to launch the “Take Action on Addiction” campaign which will call for it to be treated as a serious mental health condition and seek access to treatment, support and care so recovery can be possible for everyone.
You can join with us by being a part of the following activities:
MUSIC SUPPORT’S TAKING ACTION ON ADDICTION AUCTION
We are raising funds to continue Music Support’s crucial efforts in helping those who work in music and/or live events who are affected by addiction by giving you the opportunity to bid on some unique items and priceless experiences courtesy of some of the biggest names in the music industry.
You can find out details about the amazing prizes and how you can get involved by visiting our auction page.
MUSIC SUPPORT ADDICTION AND RECOVERY WORKSHOP – ATTEND FOR FREE
We are delighted to offer a number of places for you to attend one of our brand-new Addiction and Recovery Workshops which reinforce Music Support’s desire to positively impact health and wellbeing. The four-hour course will:
- Help you to define what addiction and recovery is (breaking down associated stigmas)
- Provide an understanding of the factors that can lead to addiction
- Instil confidence in recognising the signs and symptoms of addiction
- Offer guidance around starting conversations to help kickstart recovery
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Learning will take place online. The session will be a mix of mini-lectures, group discussion and case-studies, facilitated by an experienced trainer and addiction counsellor.
We limit numbers to 12 people per workshop so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
SESSION AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Explore societal attitudes and stigma associated with addiction
- Learn about basic neuroscience of addiction and how substances ‘hijack’ the brain
- Understand how different drugs work and link this to withdrawal needs
- Learn the difference between substance abuse, dependence and addiction, how to intervene and various treatment options available for guiding an individual towards recovery
- Understand the recovery process and the core issues that an addicted individual is managing in recovery
- Learn about the process of relapse and the phenomenon of cross addiction and learn effective ways of supporting someone in recovery
Everyone who completes the workshop will receive:
- A manual and workbook to refer to whenever you need it (PDF content)
- A certificate of attendance to say you have completed the Addiction and Recovery Workshop with Music Support
WHO IS THE WORKSHOP FOR?
Anyone over the age of 18 who is interested in understanding more about addiction and recovery and feeling more confident about helping others.
You can apply to attend the workshop on one of the following three dates:
Monday 25th October 10am – 2pm FULLY BOOKED
Wednesday 27th October 10am – 2pm FULLY BOOKED
Thursday 28th October 10am – 2pm FULLY BOOKED
Please note that spaces are limited and applications will close on Monday 25th October, so please apply early to avoid disappointment.